Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Easter- Jesus Peeps and Weird Plastic Grass


We wrapped up the Forced Family Fun weekend with an Easter Brunch. The pops, the BF, his aunt & her crazy ass Israeli significant other and my dear friend Mr. Meredith shoved an excessive amount of biscuits and other brunch delicacies in our faces. It was lovely to spend Easter with a Jew and a bunch of agnostics (or maybe they're  just too lazy to go to Church). Personally this holiday has never really been about the resurrection of Christ for me but more so about starburst jelly beans and cadbury eggs buried in that weird plastic grass. 

Getting away from family during the holidays

To teach children the true meaning of the holiday. 


Mmmm

 San Francisco is a pretty perfect place to be for the non-religious, it prides itself in being the alternative lifestyle capital of the country. In fact I would have gone to Dolores Park to watch the "Hunky Jesus" contest but felt too gluttonous to move around and be active in the world after the endless buffet we went to. I just had too many biscuits with gravy to function. That and I'm not sure how easily convinced my dad and the BF would have been to check out the scene.
I think the term "Hunky" is used loosely. Apparently I missed out
on a lot of pubes and low hanging balls. Maybe next year. 

So after a quick little weekend of Father/ Daughter bonding and fun my pops headed out. But before he left we shared a moment over a pancake breakfast. He told me he was happy for me and proud that I was on the path to success in this little city and advised me to stay put despite the challenges that may arise. As a guy from a small Midwestern town he knows the benefits to both having family and friends to root you down but also the need to take advantage of life's possibilities in the world beyond the homestead.  So despite the fact that I have battled against his fatherly ways for most of my life and found triumph in being an independent spirit, I must admit it brings a flutter of joy and a swell of pride to hear praise and gain approval from my father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment